**Jefferson's Parlor**

A Place for Contemplation of Democratic Political Philosophy and Its Meaning for Democratic Parties.......Now with Added Social Science!

Parlor image courtesy of Robert C. Lautman/Thomas Jefferson Foundation, Inc.
To the Remembrance of Neda Agha-Soltan
My Photo
Name:

EDUCATION: Master’s Degree in Sociology; WORK EXPERIENCE: Case Worker, Researcher, Teacher, Supervisor, Assistant Manager, Actor, Janitor, Busboy, Day Laborer; COUNTRIES I HAVE VISITED: Austria, England, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Egypt, Thailand, China, Taiwan, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay; FAMILY: Father from Ukraine, Mother from USA, wife from Colombia, one brother and one sister; LANGUAGES: English, Spanish and German [although my German is "rusty"]; CITIZENSHIP: USA. My wife, who is an artist, drew the picture at left in 1996. I had hair on top back then. Now it grows out of my ears and nose instead. OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE DONE IN MY LIFE, I am proudest of this blog. I hope someone reads it!

Support The Campaign for America's Future,www.ourfuture.org

Saturday, November 21, 2009

3 Things I Learned from Buddhism

I have read Buddhist literature for many years, and have practiced meditation as well. Here are three things I have learned from Buddhism that I believe are important to remember:

  1. All things are impermanent. For example, there will never be a permanent political majority. The desire for permanence will lead to frustration, anger, and suffering.
  2. All things are imperfect. For example, there will never be perfect legislation. The desire for perfection will only lead to frustration, anger, and suffering.
  3. All things are interdependent. For example, you will never be completely independent of the other people and things around you. The desire for complete independence will only lead to frustration, anger and suffering.
I just wanted to pass along these lessons before I pass along.

Alex Budarin
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home